|photo credit by stevendepolo (Flickr)|
If you’ve read my blog for any length of time, you know that I fiercely and regularly attempt to debunk the whole soul-mate mythology that’s so rampant in our society.
So, to drive home my thoughts even more, I’ve decided to share 10 reasons why I think it’s simply a crock that will derail your marriage quicker than a Kim Kardashian marriage! Read on …
- God put a desire for the Divine within each of us, and it can’t be satisfied with a finite human being—no matter how good looking he or she is.
- A belief in a soul-mate is just as child-like and immature as a belief in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy.
- Humans will fail us every time, which regularly crushes the “meant-for-each-other” feeling.
- God’s plan for our lives involves learning to trust Him; and a soul-mate—if one existed—would keep us spiritually flabby.
- If you did manage to find the perfect soul-mate out there, he/she would not want to be married to you—a flawed, irritating human being!
- Very often a “soul-mate” is only a function (or dysfunction) of an over-active imagination coupled with an unhealthy attempt to meet a legitimate need with a counterfeit substitute.
- God wants us to experience the beauty He brings out of redeeming our messes, which can only be experienced in a non-soul-mate, human, and surrendered kind of relationship.
- The idea of a soul-mate was man’s made-up idea and the idea of a spouse or help-meet was God’s perfectly imperfect
- If we’re looking for someone to “complete” us, then we’re only half a person, which may be our perception, but it’s not a healthy dynamic to build a relationship upon.
- If there is such a thing as a soul-mate, it’s not based upon a fateful, star-struck meeting, but a lifetime of living out commitment, self-sacrifice, forgiveness, trust, kindness and love to and for our spouse.
Today’s Post is Linked to –