Recently I was at a conference and had the privilege of meeting author Peter Scazzero while attending the class he led on Emotionally Healthy Discipleship. I’d read his Emotionally Healthy Spirituality book years ago and gleaned so much wisdom and practical/spiritual insight from it, so I was really excited to hear more from him. (By the way, he’s currently working on writing The Emotionally Healthy Marriage. Can’t wait for that to be published!)
But back to EHS, I loved this book. It’s one of my all-time favorites. It helped me to become aware of many “unhealthy” areas in my spiritual life, which ultimately impacted the health of my relationships, in particular my marriage. In the book you’ll find …
The symptoms of emotionally unhealthy spirituality:
- Using God to run from God
- Ignoring the emotions of anger, sadness, and fear
- Dying to the wrong things
- Denying the past’s impact on the present
- Dividing our lives into “secular” and “sacred” compartments
- Doing for God instead of being with God
- Spiritualizing away conflict
- Covering over brokenness, weakness, and failure
- Living without limits
- Judging other people’s spiritual journey
Have you practiced any of these? If so, through this book you’ll learn practical ways to transform and strengthen the health of your spiritual relationship and life.
My husband and I were talking the other day about just how crucial a healthy and growing spiritual life is to the health of a marriage. I know for me, being established in healthy spiritual practices has …
- Helped me to trust God and hang on tight when everything around me seems to be in chaos.
- Given me the insight to recognize my own failures and sins and humbly confess them to God and my spouse.
- Helped me to feel God’s comfort and nearness when I’ve felt alone in life and marriage.
- Given me the grace I’ve needed to extend mercy and love to my husband—especially in times of conflict … just to name a few!
Dr. Scazzero has generously given me one copy of Emotionally Healthy Spirituality to give away to one of you! Yay!!! He’s also given me his wife, Geri’s, most recent book, The Emotionally Healthy Woman. I will be reading and reviewing her book before giving it away at a later time. So stay tuned for that giveaway in the future!
But for today, please leave a comment in my comment section to be entered to win. And if you haven’t already “liked” my Messy Marriage Facebook Page, I’d love for you to click here and do that as well! Deadline for entering is Friday (7th) at midnight. (Please be aware that you’ll need to sign in to Disqus using your email to be entered as well. Otherwise, I won’t know how to contact you! 🙂
Joining with NOBH, Marriage Monday, Works for Me Wednesday, To Love Honor and Vacuum and T.G.I.F.
Now, it’s time for Wedded Wednesday!
- Write in any way you feel inspired about marriage, parenthood or anything that reflects Christ’s redemption in your life.
- Enter in a permalink directly to your blog post and not the main URL to your blog.
- Be sure to include a link to Wedded Wednesday or add the WW button to your current blog post and/or sidebar.
- Visit and comment on at least one other person’s blog that’s linked up here.
Optional but encouraged:
- Consider setting up your Gravatar profile and Disqus Profile with a link to your blog … it makes it so much easier for all of us to find those of you who blog!
- If you have the time, visit those who visit your blog and comment at their place as well … sort of a “Say it forward.”
Leave a Reply