They say it takes seven positive statements to make up for one negative. So we need to be sharing encouraging words with our spouses whenever we get the chance. And since most of us don’t see our spouses during the day, what a lovely way to brighten his/her day—with words that encourage and build up. Besides, you do know that whatever you focus on in your mate is more likely to be repeated by him or her in the future, right?! Yikes! Now that can be convicting!
2. Let’s make time to talk later about …
Julie Sanders from ComeHaveaPeace brought up a good point in the comments on Monday … Even though we shouldn’t have deep conversations through text messages, we can certainly give a “heads up” to our spouse, inviting him/her to prepare for a deeper conversation later. I know I always love advance warning for just about anything that might take time, effort or attitude adjustment.
3. I’m thinking of you and can’t wait to see you when you get home.
This is just an affectionate and verbal “warm fuzzy” that let’s our spouses know s/he is on our minds. And the beautiful flipside to this is … it puts us on our spouse’s mind as well! It also sets the stage for a loving greeting when we do make it back home together. I have to give credit to Laura Lee Groves from OutNumberedMom, not only for this specific text, but also for the idea to provide 5 positive texts we should send our spouses. Thanks so much, Laura Lee!
4. I’m praying for you!
You could even include a written out “text prayer” that reveals exactly how you prayed or are praying for your spouse. If your spouse is a believer, this can be extremely comforting to know and will bond you, not just emotionally or relationally, but spiritually with your mate as well.
5. I really want to … with you, my love!
I’ll leave this one up to your imagination and creativity, but sending your spouse an invitation text to do something special, romantic or fun-filled is a great way to bless them, especially on this Valentines Day, but all year around as well! Then make sure to put some thought and planning into your special date …
Here are some great date ideas I found on our last Wedded Wednesday Link-up – Kathryn at Heartful Home, as well as, Six Sisters (via Kathryn’s post), and Jenni Mullinex’s blog at Live Called. There’s also some great Valentines ideas at Lilah’s blog – Just a Sparrow. I used her “mirror” idea just this past week to encourage my spouse. So be sure to check all of these great blogs out!
- Write in any way you feel inspired about marriage or parenthood.
- Be sure to include a link to Wedded Wednesday or copy and paste the WW button to your blog.
- Visit and comment on at least one other person’s blog that’s linked up here.
Optional but encouraged:
- Consider setting up your Gravatar profile and Disqus Profile with a link to your blog … it makes it so much easier for all of us to find those of you who blog!
- If you have the time, visit those who visit your blog and comment at their place as well … sort of a “Say it forward.”